Saturday, June 30, 2012

What I Remember

The football experience was good.  Bonnie enjoyed the train ride--took a hundred pictures on her i-pad of people and buildings for possible future oil paintings.  We had dinner at Patron's Tacos and Cantina on Robson St. near the stadium.  Best Mexican food in Vancouver area.  The game was fun: good athleticism and smart play.  I like to think of football as a sort of combination group sumo wrestling and chess with large men.  The Lion's Geroy Simon broke the record for most yards receiving, becoming the CFL's all-time leading receiver, and the Lions won the game 33 to 16.  All in all, it was a great night out.


And then morning came.  The problem with fun worldly activities is that they are best enjoyed in anticipation; sometimes, but not always, enjoyable in the execution; and in the end leave you tired and empty.  There is nothing lasting about a football game--even if you win, even if you break the all-time CFL record.  What I remember from last night, what I remember in the Christian sense of holding in my heart, is a lovely time hanging out with my beloved.  That's what I remember, and that's what will last.

No comments: